When speaking of cinnamon health benefits, the first thing we should mention are the main 3 types of essential oils contained in its bark (cinnamyl acetate, cinnamaldehyde, and cinnamyl alcohol).
The presence of these essential oils gives cinnamon delightful aroma and flavor by also making it perfect and powerful antiseptic. Besides these essential oils, the cinnamon contains many different types of minerals such as manganese, calcium, zinc, iron, copper, also followed by the presence of some vitamins like B6 and B2, Vitamin C and K.
Major role in the composition of cinnamon plays the presence of tannin which possesses large antifungal and antibacterial property. Its activity helps for stopping diarrhea and condense of the blood vessels.
The presence of healthy fibers reduces the risk of colon cancer development and the amount of bad cholesterol.
These are some of the many cinnamon health benefits
• cinnamon possesses great healing properties when the gastrointestinal tract health state comes in questioning.
Stops nausea and neutralizes the excess stomach acid. The presence of tannin in its structure reduces colic and flatulence helps with diarrhea and reduces inflammation of the intestine organs.
• being a rich source of fiber it speeds up the metabolism, thus helping lose weight,
by slowing down the transportation of food from the stomach into the intestines, creates
a feeling of fullness.
• another great property of the cinnamon is the positive influence on the kidneys functions, giving them major protection from many infections and do so stimulating the urine secretion.
It is important to mention that the Cassia cinnamon can slightly make damage to the kidneys and do so it is advisable for those with kidney problems to use Ceylon cinnamon instead.
• cinnamon helps for many women diseases especially with infertility because naturally increases the amount of progesterone in the blood and reduces the level of testosterone in the blood. In combination with honey increases fertility in males.
Check this magic elixir from Honey and Cinnamon
• new scientific studies for diabetes treatment, during the last few years have showed that half a teaspoon of cinnamon, taken on an empty stomach, will reduce the levels of sugar in the blood because the active ingredients in cinnamon act as an insulin substitution making cells in the body start absorbing the sugar.
• cinnamon possess great quantities of manganese, a mineral which helps with the absorption of calcium, the creation of bone and connective tissue, helps in the blood sugar regulation, improves the blood coagulation, improves the functions of amino acids, acting as a strong antioxidant.
• it has a huge positive impact on the urinary tract infections, especially if combined with honey. Because it has strong antibacterial and antifungal activity helps with Esc.
ecoli and candida. It is necessary to mix 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of
honey in a little lukewarm water and drink it.
• with its strong anti- inflammatory effect for alleviating pain in the bones, drastically reduces the pain caused by arthritis. Improves the blood circulation caused by the presence of the active ingredients which relax the tense and aching muscles.
• Accelerates the brain functions by improving concentration and memory. It is highly recommended for people with Alzheimer’s disease because studies showed that cinnamon reduces chronic inflammation associated with neurological disorders (Alzheimer disease, Parkinson’s disease …).
• Because of its strong antibacterial properties acts preventively against the bad breath and the occurrence of cavities, skin disinfection and acne treatment.
• In a case of anemia (most common blood disorder caused by a deficiency of iron), cinnamon comes in help because in its structure contains a great amount of this metal.
• cinnamon contains a particular amount of salicylate and thereby helps to lower high body temperature.
• It possesses massive healing properties (mainly because of it’s warming effect) for the treatment of respiratory system inflammations same as for many types of infections, colds, cough soothing, pneumonia and chronic bronchitis.
• Due to its anti-inflammatory effect, cinnamon gives maximum protection for the heart, strengthens the walls of the blood vessels, helps regulate cholesterol and bile salts excretion from the body. In this way offers great protection against colon cancer.
When and why not to take cinnamon
Besides the wide spectrum of the cinnamon health benefits, there are few important exclusions which must be noted.
Cassia cinnamon contains coumarin which should not be consumed by liver and kidney patients, pregnant women and people who have problems with blood thinners.
For people who suffer from blood thinners, Ceylon cinnamon is not recommended.
The cinnamon essential oil can cause contractions of the muscles of the uterus and that’s why is not recommended for pregnant women.